This job is no longer accepting applications.
Full-stack developer at earwig in London
If you thrive in a small, dynamic product team continuously running rapid experiments, if you want to be involved in the growth of a company from its earliest stages, if you’re out for your next opportunity to impact millions of people’s lives, then we’d like to talk to you.
We are earwig, and we help tradespeople find better jobs, do better work and build better careers.
More than half of construction firms use agency workers to grow their workforce on-demand. Firms rely on a multi-layered structure where 1,000+ recruitment agencies sit between them and workers. Agencies vary drastically in their performance and with no quality control, workers don’t know what they’re getting into before they get into it. To thicken the plot, agencies outsource payroll, adding yet more complexity and confusion for workers.
Workers suffer from chronic job insecurity and poor working conditions with little power to effect change. They don’t have a Glassdoor to guide their job search. They don’t have a LinkedIn to elevate their skills. They’re unsure how to negotiate or navigate disputes, and the only “communities” they can turn to are full of cat videos and fake news.
There’s another side to this story. Firms are losing £1 million a year per project on worker churn but have no data to tell them why it’s happening. They want to know why workers choose to come, stay, leave or avoid their worksites. Firms need a ready supply of talent in order to deliver, and they’ve said they would pay to use a platform that shows them worker sentiment.
There are 45 million gig tradespeople around the world who deserve the same opportunities to develop their careers as anyone else. Workers want the best work and firms want the best talent. earwig will stand alone in serving the construction labour market with much-needed tech, and will orient its marketplace to provide value to all sides.
We’re looking for a London-based full-stack developer to join the team and work with the product manager (founder) and digital product designer. Whilst we do have existing code, we’ll be embarking on new product discovery activities together as a dedicated product team, so there will be plenty of greenfield opportunities.
We have an 18-month runway. We’re doing something no one has ever succeeded at before. But we’re excited by that, and we’re looking for someone to join us on this journey.
What you’ll be doing
Software engineering is a critical component of earwig’s business, and the full-stack developer will play a central role in our ability to create a product users love. You’ll be:
- Continuously collaborating with the product manager and designer – from discovery to delivery – and be deeply oriented around real users and the value the product brings to them.
- Evaluating and selecting technologies that will support the business now and in the future.
- Working across this entire stack to develop new web and native products, features, and tools for our users.
- Writing automated tests for the product to ensure quality.
- Upholding high engineering standards and bringing consistency to the codebases and processes you work with.
- You’ve shipped successful products. You have experience working in high performing teams that have shipped successful user-facing products.
- You’re comfortable with a high degree of uncertainty. There’s a lot we still don’t know, and we’ll be figuring it out together.
- You have an appetite for constant discovery. There may not be much code to write for the first couple months as we’ll be collaborating on product discovery activities, including framing, planning, ideation, prototyping and testing with real users every week. The magic often happens when developers are present! We want you – need you – to be part of discovery with us.
- You measure your work. You know how to instrument products for usage analytics and you understand how to leverage data to learn and improve quickly.
- You’re down for co-located working. You’re happy to work at our HQ in Battersea, London. We’re committed to co-located working where collaboration and culture can thrive. That said, we sometimes do work-from-home-Fridays.
Please read more about our values and how we work in our Strategic Context.
- £60,000 - £65,000 annual salary.
- 1.25% share options.
- Awesome workspace at InnovationRCA.
- Join a thriving community. Regular mentorship from experts at the Royal College of Art, Venrex, Bethnal Green Ventures, Resolution Foundation and more.
- Be empowered to solve problems in the best way you see fit.
- Define your own work culture.
- Develop into a manager and leader if you wish.
- Do meaningful work that’s commercially successful and socially important.
How to apply
You don't need a CV, just your brain. Click to get started.
Instead of submitting a CV, you’ll answer some questions that are related to the job. After the job closes, your answers will go through our sift process: all answers will be anonymised, randomised and then reviewed by a panel of reviewers.
If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to interview. Also, we love giving feedback, so at the end you'll see how well you performed at each stage of the application process.
Important: We are not able to sponsor visas for anyone to move to the UK, even if you pay for it yourself, so please only apply if you have a right to work in the UK. And please apply only if you can co-locate with us in London; this is not a remote role.
Interviews take place week commencing 29 March 2021.
Your application has been successfully submitted.