This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Perlego, we’re working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.Over the past 4 years our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality academic books. The next stage of Perlego is two fold:
1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
How we work together
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common goal. Each team consists of 6-8 team members - a Technical Lead, 3-4 Engineers, a DevOps Engineer, QA Engineer & Product Designer/Owner.
What you’ll do
You will work in a self-organising team in our product ecosystem providing technical development skills (React/Node/AWS) within the squad, co-solutioning and getting hands-on implementing the solutions to help your squad achieve it's goal.
You will contribute to the design and code base of distributed AWS cloud systems, Serverless Node.js application back-ends and React web application front-ends.
Within your squad you'll bring these solutions to life, writing high-quality code utilising test-driven development (Jest /Cypress), continuous integration (AWS) and code review (GitHub).
You and your cross-functional squad will look after application features from inception to production working with customers and business stakeholders to bring them to life and support them in production.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- An understanding of architectural practices including: Microservices, REST, object-oriented & functional programming.
- An understanding of web security principles (OWASP) and deployment (Webpack)
- An understanding of Relational Database Design and NOSQL Databases
- Experience working with Cloud computing providers (AWS).
- Experience working in an Agile environment with Test Driven Development, CI/CD
- 2+ years of commercial experience as a software engineer
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- Degree - preferably in a computing related subject
- Experience in a startup environment
- Have a general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our 4.8 Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
🌈 Benefits include:
Like many, we’ve adapted our flexible work policy off the back of this year. We're still finalising what this will look like post Covid-19, but will likely be a hybrid model which would allow you to work part remote and have some days in the office to collaborate and socialise with the team.
We offer a £500 annual training budget for everyone's personal development
🌴 Base holiday
30 days base holiday (22 days + 8 bank holidays)
🎅🏼 Christmas break
In addition to your base holiday - the office will be shut for certain days over the Christmas holidays to allow everyone to have a break
Competitive salary, discretionary share options
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
Perlego will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
🌻 Wellbeing subsidy
Subsidy towards your choice of: gym or Vitality health insurance
Plus mental health and counselling support via Spill
Your application has been successfully submitted.
On a mission to make education accessible for all